George Robson (G.R.) Coldwell

Thomas Daly’s law partner purchased the home in 1896 when Mr. Daly moved to Roseland, B.C. The Coldwell family resided in the home for approximately thirty-two years during which he added the third floor to accomodate his large family of nine children. He also installed the hot water radiators to heat the house. The Coldwell family left the house in the late 1920s.

Annie and G.R. Coldwell c.1910
Annie and G.R. Coldwell c.1910

George Robson (G.R.) Coldwell (1858-1924) was born in Clarke Township, near Newcastle, Ontario, Canada. He grew up on his parent’s farm near Kinburn, Ontario. He attended the Kinburn Public School, Clinton Grammer School, Clinton, Ontario, Trinity College School, Port Hope Ontario and Trinity College, Toronto, Ontario, where he received a B.A.

In 1882, G.R. moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba, where he finished off his legal apprenticeship with “Kennedy and Sutherland”. He was called to the Manitoba Bar in November of 1882. He partnered with T.M. Daly (First Mayor of Brandon) in 1883. That same year he married Annie Anderson. They were married on August 27, 1883 at Christchurch Anglican in Winnipeg.

 

G.R. was elected as Alderman to the Brandon City Council from 1888 to 1908. He served as Rector Warden at St. Matthew’s Anglican Church, Brandon, Manitoba from 1898 to 1904. He was appointed guardian and lituin of the “Western Judicial District” in 1901. In 1906, G.R. was one of the founding members of “The Brandon Opera House Company”. He was also one of the original directors of the Brandon Winter Fair and Livestock Association. In 1907, he was elected to the Manitoba Legislature and appointed the Provincial Secretary and Minister of Municipal Affairs. In 1908, G.R. Coldwell became minister of Education for the Province of Manitoba.

G.R. Coldwell lived at 122-18th street from 1896 to 1924. He died on January 24, 1924 in Brandon, Manitoba.

Annie (Anderson) Coldwell (1858-1953) was active in community affairs. During the First World War she was a founding member of the local Red Cross and the Queen Mary’s Needlework Guild. ┬áHer home at 122-18th Street (now Daly House Museum) was the site of many teas, sewing workshops and other events to raise funds to support the soldiers and civilians affected by the war.

 

Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Twitter