On Saturday November 7, 2015 Shoppers Mall will proudly host an exciting night of exclusive holiday shopping in their annual community fundraising event.
Holiday Magic is a one night, three hour long shopping, entertainment, treats and fantastic prize ladden affair!
Entrance is limited to ticket holders who can purchase their tickets from selected non-profit organizations in Westman.
Tickets are $5.00 each and 100 percent of the sales stay with the ticket seller’s non-profit organization.
This is an event not to be missed as shoppers will take advantage of one night only specials and offers from participating retailers, entertainment, indulge in treats and a chance to win fantastic prizes!!
For more information or for tickets please call us at 204-727-1722 or by email email@example.com
Mrs. Coldwell and the Queen Mary’s Needlework Guild
Volunteering was an integral part of wartime service for Canadian women during the First World War. As women were traditionally excluded from combat roles joining a voluntary service organization was important for women who wished to be seen as throwing their support behind the nation at war. It was also a way for them to deal with their grief or as a form of relief from the agony of waiting for news on their loved ones at the front.
Women in Brandon had a number of organizations they could participate in to support the war effort including the Canadian Red Cross, the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire and the Queen Mary’s Needlework Guild (QMNC). Founded by Queen Mary on August 21, 1914 the Guild’s goal was to specifically help with supplying ‘comforts’ for all serving soldiers and sailors. After the formation of the Brandon Branch of the QMNC on January 12, 1915 the Brandon Daily Sun reported that the Guild “works particularly for the little orphan children, helpless victims of the war, whether British, French or Belgium, and for the sailors of the great British Fleet, as well as soldiers of the army.”
The Guild operated once weekly out of a room at the Bank of Montreal. Here local members would sell membership pins and accept donations from surrounding Guilds organized in local communities such as Oak Lake, Rapid City and Souris. Some of the donations the Guild accepted included shirts, handkerchiefs, socks, tobacco, cocoa, chewing gum, candy, and soap. One month after forming the Brandon Guild sent 167 garments overseas. Four months later the Brandon Sun reported that the Guild had collected 405 garments and raised $109.00 the equivalent of $2,534.10 today. The Guild also had collected hospital furnishings including bed sheets, pillow cases, quilts, and pillows for the Brandon cot at the Cliveden Military Hospital built by the Canadian Red Cross in England. The Guilds efforts were often acknowledged in letters from Queen Mary to Founder and President Mrs. G.R. (Annie) Coldwell.
Annie Coldwell the wife of Brandon lawyer and MLA G.R. Coldwell and the mother of POW Lieutenant George Alfred Coldwell was very active during the war with local voluntary organizations. She founded the Brandon Branch of the Canadian Red Cross and participated at fundraiser teas hosted by members of the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire. However, her real passion during the war was the Queen Mary’s Needlework Guild. As president of the local Queen Mary’s Needle Guild, Annie Coldwell opened her home at 122-18th Street to the public to raise funds in support of the war effort. Today her home is our Daly House Museum and it was the site of fundraising teas, musical recitals, sewing classes and meetings for the Guild.
As part of our efforts to recognize the sacrifice made by our citizens during the Great War Daly House will be hosting a patriotic tea on November 7, 2015 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm in our dining room. We will be decorating the house just as Mrs. Coldwell decorated her home for teas in benefit of the QMNC. Members of the Brandon Embroiders will be on hand to demonstrate hand sewing. There will also be musical entertainment and homemade refreshments served on vintage china. Tickets for the event will be $15.00 each and are available now at Daly House Museum. In keeping with the goals of the Guild in providing relief to those in need a portion of the proceeds will go to Samaritan House. For more information or to reserve your tickets please contact Eileen at 204-727-1722 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our brand new exhibit, Ceramics: Settling the Prairies opened Thursday, September 3rd, 2015. This exhibit has been a two year labour of love on behalf of our Exhibition Intern Franchesca Hebert-Spence and the Museum is ecstatic to showcase our expansive Victorian ceramic collection in this fashion. The exhibit seeks to understand the dynamics between the budding city of Brandon, the waves of immigrants coming to Canada and the effects imports had on available tableware. The exhibit features a variety of collections like Spode, Madalta, Blue Willow, Belleek and Staffordshire, just to name a few.
For more information on the exhibit, please contact the Museum at 1-204-727-1722 or email@example.com.
Embroidery can be categorized according to whether the design is stitched on top or through the fabric. Embroidery styles include free embroidery, cross-stitching, canvas, cutwork, etc. Matreials used in embroidery vary from place to place. Wool, linen and silk have been used as both fabric and yarn for thousands of years. Modern embroidery thread is manufactured in cotton, rayon and novelty yearns as well as the traditional wool, linen and silk. Ribbon is sometimes used, most commonly to create floral motifs.
This piece was donated by Carol English in 2013. She bought it from the Rosewood Funeral Home, later became Brockie Donovan. It was originally owned by Mrs. Leonida Leatherdale, the founder of the Embroiderers’ Guild of Canada (later Embroiderers’ Association of Canada). She founded the EAC in 1973. The frame is from The Little Gallery (Gordon Smith Co. Ltd.) in Winnipeg, MB.
Mrs. Leatherdale and her guild became the first chapter of the EAC. The head office is located in Winnipeg, MB. The founding members believed this was the best location to start branching out to other guilds to the eat and west.
The frame also has a Winnipeg art connection. Gordon A. Smith, a Modernist painter, was born in Sussex, England in 1919. His family emigrated to Canada in 1933. He taught and did commercial design in Winnipeg before serving as an intelligence office in World War II. He returned wounded in 1941 and spent the rest of his career in Vancouver, British Columbia.
This collection was brought to us by Peggy Mansoff of Brandon, MB. These tools belonged to her husband, the late Gerald Leo Clark who began his collection during the Second World War. This is a E. O. Richter drafting set from 1939. Mr. Clark picked up this set in Germany during his service as a Royal Canadian Air Force pilot. Emil Oskar Richter (1814-1907) founded the firm in Chemnitz, Saxony after training as a clockmaker. In 1892, he patented his “flat system”, copied by many others after his patent ranout in 1905. The firm became VED Kombinat (stated owned) until 1945. This is a very intricate and well-kept drafting kit.
The next tool kit is a micrometer set from Central Tools Co. dating back to 1912. The Central Tool Company (variously of Providence, Auburn/Cranston, RI) has a long history, beginning in 1908, trying to find niches in the highly competitive precision tools business. The company has since been in the same location since 1912 with early micrometers marked “Auburn” and later ones marked “Cranston.” The company, now named Central Tools is still operating and is still a family-owned/run business after over a century. This micrometer is marked with “Cranston” and has an interchangeable anvil set, with a range of 0-4”.
The last set is a Tap and Die set for Ford automobiles. It was made by the Butterfield Co. & Inc. in Rock Island, Quebec. Butterfield Co & Inc. operated from 1879 to 1920 and opened an additional factory in Derby Line, Vermont in 1891. This set would be used to make nuts and bolts for Ford vehicles.
Here is another new piece to our museum’s collection! This needlework depicts the presentation of Katherine of Aragon to King Henry VIII. It is embroidered with silk thread. This is an exquisitely unique craft donated by Mr. George Moore of Brandon. It dates back to approximately the 1860s. This one of a kind piece is a welcome example of Victorian handicraft!
This fantastic addition to the Daly House collection comes from Margaret Masar of Orofino, Idaho. She was a resident of Brandon back when the Museum was operating as The Maples children’s home. The story she tells is that the basket was given to her grandfather,Lt. Col. Francis Joseph Clark and was intended as a cradle for her uncle, William Francis McKinnon Clark. William was born on Aug 5, 1909 which makes the basket approximately just over 100 years old. Lt. Col. F.J. Clark had a distinguished military record, serving in the 1885 Northwest Rebellion, the Boer War in South Africa and leading a battalion in World War I. He later became a vibrant member of the community in Brandon’s foundling years, continuing his service to the arts and municipal affairs.
Baskets of this kind are traditionally made from willow, ash or birchbark. This bassinette is woven with wicker, made from willow. Baskets are traditionally made starting with the base and working around the sides. The branches of the chosen wood would be picked and dried before production began. They would then be re-hydrated to make the branches pliable and workable during the weaving process.
Basketry extended into the making of many other materials used daily including fishing nets, animal and fish snares, cooking utensils that were so finely woven that they were waterproof, ceremonial costumes and baskets, and even plaques.
Daly House Museum’s new children’s summer program, Through the Looking Glass: Flashback to a Victorian Summer will be open for registration, beginning on July 8th, 2015. The Museum is excited to put on a uniquely Victorian experience for children ages 5-12.
Our new summer program explores what it meant to be a kid before skateboards and iPads! This program demonstrates what it was like to be a child in the Victorian era. This includes how children helped around the house and how they played during their new-found free time. There is a wide variety of crafts and activities that children will love. Participants will go on a tour of the Daly House Museum, followed by a toy making session and outdoor activities. Children will make crafts that reflect the era’s simplicity and practicality.
Join us in tracing the footsteps of a typical Victorian child, from doing outside chores like laundry and to playing parlour games and acting like the great Sherlock Holmes! Through the Looking Glass: Flashback to a Victorian Summer runs from July 8th, 2015 to August 28, 2015. It runs every Wednesday from 10 am to 1 pm, rain and shine!
Daly House Museum’s new exhibit Smocks, Frocks and Covers will be opening to the public on June 20, 2015. The Museum is delighted to showcase eighty-two aprons personally collected by Helen Drysdale, director of the Beautiful Plains Museum in Neepawa, Manitoba.
“I’ve always loved aprons.” explains Helen Drysdale. “I began collecting aprons when I discovered an unfinished flour sack in my late Mother-in-law’s belongings and it is an honour to share them with the public.”
Through the designs and styles of the aprons on display the exhibit questions society’s view that women’s handiwork is a craft rather than an art form. Each apron on display were made by individuals rather than mass produced on an assembly line. They reflect a moment in the life of their creator as the decorations, colors, and patterns were chosen by the individuals who would wear the aprons.
“When viewed as a work of art, there is a higher appreciation for the time and craft involved.” commented Franchesca Hebert-Spence, Daly House Museum Exhibition Intern. “And while the artists of these beautiful creations are maybe unknown, the flair and skill required to craft these pieces is evident.”
“The aprons showcased in this exhibit are not just an item that our Grandmothers or Mother’s may have made or worn but a reflection of the changing attitudes of society and the role of feminism towards the role of women.” stated Museum Curator Eileen Trott.
Children will be able to enjoy the exhibit as much as the adults through activities in a discovery kit related to the exhibit. The discovery kit will be available at the front desk for families visiting the Museum over the summer. Smocks, Frocks and Covers runs from June 20, 2015 to August 15, 2015.
Daly House Museum is the original home of Thomas Mayne Daly, the first mayor of Brandon. The house contains four floors of artifacts and archival materials representative of Brandon’s early history and the Victorian era. The Museum’s hours are Monday to Saturday 10:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm and Sundays 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm (July to August).
For further information please contact Daly House Museum at (204)-727-1722, firstname.lastname@example.org or dalyhousemuseum.ca